3186 E. Livingston Ave., Columbus OH 43227
Business Manager: Ben Ott
International Union of Elevator Constructors (IUEC)
The IUEC represent the most qualified and trained elevator constructors in the world. Members assemble, install and replace elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, moving walkways and similar equipment in new and old buildings. Elevator constructors also maintain and repair this equipment and modernize older equipment.
7154 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
About Local 37 from the ACT Ohio website
The International Union of Elevator Constructors represents the most qualified and trained elevator constructors in the world.
Elevator constructors perform the construction, operation, inspection, testing, maintenance, alteration, and repair of elevators, platform lifts, stairway chair lifts, escalators, moving walks, dumbwaiters, material lifts, and automatic transfer devices. They also perform the construction, operation, inspection, maintenance, alteration, and repair of automatic guided transit vehicles such as automated people movers. Individuals perform this work while working at heights, around exposed electrical contacts, and moving sheaves and cables.
Elevator Constructor apprentices are registered with the National Elevator Industry Education Program. This program of study requires the completion of five years of training prior to taking the mechanic’s examination. After the examination is passed, two more years of study are required to complete the program.
The objectives of the International Union of Elevator Constructors (IUEC) are to:
- Implement the exercise of the natural right of workers to organize that they may more securely work with dignity.
- Enable its members to participate actively in self-government.
- Unite into one International Union all workers eligible for membership, regardless of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, age, or sex.
- Secure improved wages, hours, working conditions and other economic advantages for the members through collective bargaining, through advancement of our standing in the community and in the labor movement, and through other lawful methods.
- Provide educational advancement and training for officers, employees and members.
- Safeguard and promote the principle of free collective bargaining, the rights of workers, and the security and welfare of all the people by political, educational and other community activity.
- Protect and strengthen our democratic institutions and preserve and perpetuate the cherished traditions of democracy.
- Protect and preserve the union as an institution and in the performance of its legal and contractual obligations.